Friday, January 3, 2014

SXA "Loud Aloha" by Nelson Kanno


   When I started doing Shakas x Alohas back in 2007 my goal was to figure out how to some day be able to share the local style BBQ experience in places that I wanted to travel to and with people I wanted spend time with. Five years later with the encouragement of my girlfriend Bev and the support of my amazing family and friends I've been able to do just that! Below are pics of a design done by my friend Nelson Kanno. Nelson is a local braddah from Mililani who moved to Long Beach in early 2000 to pursue his passion for motorcycles. By means of the internet and magazines I got to watch he and his friends influence a culture that was not yet established. I was super stoked and proud that here was a local boy doing what he was doing away from Hawaii and making an impact. These past couple of years I've got to spend time with Nelson and his ohana and friends and talk story over SXA BBQ. All I can tell you is that I'm really stoked to be doing exactly what I wanted to with SXA and I'm glad that I can share it with you and friends like Nelson. Mahalo for your support! - Rodney Chmolack

Loud Aloha Saves Lives! It really does you should try it some time!

This was my first test run using white ink which I haven't been able to do for over a year. Thanks to some screen printing advice and help from a couple of friends Kyle Ito over at Morals Fiber and Gabriel Lipetz at Aloha Factory.

Brown for the brown boys! Nelson requested this colorway early this year but I wasn't capable of doing it as silly it sounds. I'm glad I was able to make it happen before the turn of the New Year! What a way to end 2013!

Loud Aloha in Kelly green is available for sale in the online shop. 

Loud Aloha in black is available in the online shop as well.

My friend Gabriel Lipitz over at Aloha T Shirt Factory let me use his dryer. The heat lamps at home don't cut it. Mahalo Gabe and crew!

My beautiful assistant helping me organize before we head out for some New Years lunch. You can tell by the look on her face that she's thinking "what a way to spend New Years Day"! That Tori Burch bag and wallet from Christmas paid off though!!!