Thursday, December 19, 2013

Hula Girl Backyard BBQ Tattoo by Death Machine

Last night I got tattooed by one of my good friends Kyle Yanagimoto. He's been putting in time and studying the art of tattooing with a passion. We had talked about me getting tattooed but I didn't know what to get. I don't have many tattoos and I usually let the artist decide what their specialty is. Kyle knowing how much I love Hawaii and wanted to do something with a Hawaii theme. As we got closer to the day to get work done I decided I wanted to do a hula girl BBQ'n with Diamond Head in the background. Inspired by all the BBQ's we've had with Braddah Marlon and our families and friends at Magic Island.


Inspired artwork and Kyle's version.

Ryan Chun is the owner of Good Life Gallery Tattoo in Mililani. I've worked with Ryan at Blue Hawaii Surf ever since he was a youngster. He was even on our Eighty Four Skate Team. Now he's all grown up kinda and has his own shop and his own team! Mahalo Braddah Ryan for letting us use your spot!

This was at about the half way point maybe an hour in. Not bad, not bad at t'all!

Big B giving SXA Dyson some tips on flash art.

Big B Brian Takishita has been tattooing for years and was one of the founders of 808 Tattoo in Kaneohe. He's since moved on and now works out of Skin Deep Tattoo in Waikiki. Big B came by too help give Kyle some guidance and advice on technique. So stoked to have these two guys working together on my hula girl!

Big B giving some tips on shading techniques.

A couple hours later and pau for the night. There's still a little bit of shading and color to be done but so far I think Kyle did a great job on my hula girl!