Saturday, September 4, 2010

Aloha Shirt

Today I've got my buddy Blunt's wedding to go to but I've got a problem. I don't have an aloha shirt and haven't for at least 5 years now. Aloha shirts are the appropriate attire to wear to any special occassion here in Hawaii instead of a suit and tie. I decided that since I don't have an aloha shirt and I probably won't wear it much after I buy it that I would go check out Savers in Kalihi and see if I could score one for cheap. Savers had a crazy big selection of aloha shirts and it was quite the adventure going through them all. Aloha shirts come in all kinda prints and colors and some even have a story to tell depending on the artist. Avi Kiraty is a local artist from the Big Island whose artwork was very common in the 90's on the Kahala brand aloha shirts. If you look at his designs he's always got some kinda storyline going on regarding island life. Other than checking out the assorted prints I enjoyed checking out some of the labels. Some of them familiar and some not, some new and some old. For the most part alot of the good vintage prints with the coconut buttons and textrued fabric are all swallowed up by the japanese. They like to scout different second hand stores, swap meets, and yardsales to find these vintage aloha shirts and then turn around and sell them for a grip in Japan or here in Waikiki in shops like 88 tees, Spark, and other various vintage shops. After an hour so of looking for an aloha shirt with my name on it I finally found one. It only costed $9.99 versus $50 brand new. Now I'm ready to head on over to Waikiki to celebrate Blunt and Sunny's wedding with my brand old aloha shirt! Can you guess which one I ended up settling for?